Monday, May 2, 2011

Flogging or blipping?

I'm getting ready to start the last unit of the year, and this time I'm going to see how it works if I combine flipping with blogging. The groups will be grade 11 Sci Math, who have already been flipped and have also tried blogging, and gr 11 Tech Sci Math, who have been flipped but have not tried blogging yet.

I have come to the conclusion that in the live, online class, without the f2f, I absolutely have to have some activities that I witness them doing during class time. Which has led me to form a table to organize different activities by who works on it, when they work on it, and for how long they work on it. Here's the link to the table in googledocs:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cMQG49sjNofsL_TWac10YHk3aRpOmsLMXQdJnofD4pQ/edit?hl=en&authkey=CKW3hvsO

I also put together that checklist that I had posted about a while ago (see April 8 Keeping track...). It was sooooooo easy with googledocs. Here's how it looks:



....and here's how you do it:

Go to google > more > docs > create new form
Give it a title
> question 1 "Name:" > question type "text"
> select "make this a required question" > done
> question 2 > question type "checkboxes"
Then just make each "question title" an item of whatever list you are turning into a checklist. I gave them two choices for their status on each item "Begun" or "Done". Trying to stay positive...

I would love to be able to embed the checklist into our class blog, but alas, wordpress once again just won't cooperate, so instead I will post a link to the doc where they can get at it. These googledocs are published on the web, so as long as they have internet, it's all good.

I think, all things considered, blipping is the better mashup!

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a task-list. It makes me think of working toward mastery, rather than a passing grade on the next test.

    One consequence of your switch that you may find is that students don't finish the task-lists all at the same time, requiring you to stagger your assessments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David - I agree with you about the mastery flavour the lists add. Many of the kids loved that they could not only watch the lesson at their own pace, but also get the work done that way. This year I wanted to test them all at the same time, so I ended up giving them suggested timelines, like by the end of this week you should at least be here. Then during class, I monitored the online task-list (it shows up at my end like a live excel sheet so I can see who checked what and when), and had private chats with anyone who seemed to be lagging. Next year I plan to use moodle, which is the preferred tool for staggered assessments.
    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete